Container homes have been gaining popularity in recent years for their affordability and eco-friendly nature. Today, office container conversions are also beginning to pick up traction. But what is it about them that makes them so appealing? And how much does an office container cost? Is it really worth your time? In this article, we are going to explore it in greater depth so that you can decide as to whether or not an office container might be a great addition to your business.
What to consider before investing in an office container?
Just like any other building, a shipping container requires that you follow a checklist in order to avoid making costly mistakes.
- Pick a quality vendor that provides you with plenty of options: You are not obliged to stick with a local supplier. Instead, you should be looking at a much wider range of quality containers at the most affordable prices, so as to secure yourself the best possible deals on shipping container office conversions.
- Always inspect your office container before making a purchase: Used shipping containers have lived a hard life at sea. Although they are sturdy and built to withstand the harsh battering of nature’s fury, you still shouldn’t rely solely on photographs before making your investment. Before you purchase anything you should inspect the container offices thoroughly. Look for chemical corrosion, dents, and rust. Inspect the corners and the surface underneath the container for structural integrity. What is important is that you have an office container that is built to last. Refurbished or not, if you have a poor quality container, then it might end up costing you more in the long run.
- Brand-new, single-use, or used containers: Shipping containers intended for repurposing into an office or a home fall under three categories: brand-new, single-use, or used. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each…
- Brand-new: New containers boast the most structural integrity, though they are the most expensive. These containers have never been used before and will be delivered to you fresh from the factory.
- Single-use: Single-use containers (as the name suggests) have only been used once and then sold into the aftermarket. These are typically in excellent condition and come at a much lower price than a brand-new container. However, due to high demand, they might not be immediately available to you.
- Used: Used containers are the ones that have seen the most action at sea. Whilst the price of these containers will be significantly lower, you should make sure that they are structurally sound before rushing into a purchase.
- Local building regulations: Office containers fall under the same category as a typical office or commercial building. This means that you should read up on this and do plenty of research before rushing into your decision. You must ensure that you have the relevant planning permissions so as not to waste your time or end up with any unnecessary charges.
How much do office containers cost?
The cost of office containers depends on a number of factors. First of all, you can rent office containers, which is particularly useful for businesses who wish to get set up in a certain region for a short period of time.
However, if you want to opt for office shipping containers as a more permanent solution for your business’s establishment, then you should be aware of the following factors:
- The building contractor, architect, and structural engineer will each have a fee factored into the overall cost of the investment
- There will be additional costs involved for customisation (i.e., partitions, shelves, stairs, windows, and doors, flooring, insulation, washrooms, false ceilings, awnings, HVAC systems, external landscaping, and any other special requirements)
- You will need to factor in the cost of additional fixtures (i.e., water supply, power, alarms and cameras, lighting, and an internet connection)
- We would always advise that you allow an additional 20% contingency fund in case of budget overflows. So, whilst you might easily be able to get a stunning office container setup for $100,000, you should keep an additional $20,000 just in case. Whilst shipping container office conversions are incredibly cheap in comparison to a typical office fit-out, it always pays to be prepared for the unforeseen
Why choose an office shipping container conversion? (What are the advantages)
Whether you are a start-up or a small business, affordability and flexibility are going to be at the forefront of your priorities when it comes to securing office space. Here are some of the amazing advantages to opting for an office container conversion:
- Modular building
- Environmentally friendly
- Quick and easy to establish
Just bear in mind that an office container might not be suitable for you because of the following factors:
- Your business is large and growing rapidly with the need to house a great number of employees
- Consider brand identity within your unique market: how will people perceive your brand
- Is a change in a physical location for your business the right thing for this stage in your business’s development?
Other than that, having an office converted from an old shipping container is an incredible opportunity and one that is almost certainly worth exploring.
Depending on how much budget you have available to play with, choose your category wisely. Going for brand new shipping containers for your office conversion might not be the best approach if you are already on a tight budget. Just remember that if you do opt for used containers, they are thoroughly inspected before you sign off on anything.
If you are interested in exploring this idea further, we recommend doing plenty of research and checking out reputable firms that specialise in office container conversions, to get a better idea as to how the industry operates.
In any case, we hope that this article was useful to you and wish you the best of luck in the future.