Thailand is one of the most popular tourist destinations and is home to countless expats from all over the world. Still, it is a largely misunderstood nation with a great many misconceptions. For example, is Thailand a 3rd world country? Many people believe it so – although, those people clearly haven’t been before.
In this article, we are going to talk about why so many people go to Thailand, whether or not it is safe to travel there, how expensive it is to visit, and whether or not it is still classified as a 3rd world country. Want to know more about this exotic tropical paradise? Simply read on for more information.
Why do people go to Thailand?
So, why do people go to Thailand? What is all the fuss about? That is not an easy question to answer because Thailand is a vibrant and versatile country that simply has so much to offer everyone. Let’s try to break it down with a few key attractions:
- Tropical climate: If you were brought up in the UK for example, where the weather is cold, wet, and windy for the large majority of the year, understanding why someone might want to relocate to Thailand is easy. Thailand boasts a beautiful tropical climate with exceptional weather all-year-round, save for the occasional storm during the rainy season.
- Paradisiacal islands: Thailand is home to over 1,400 islands, many of which you can visit. Words cannot describe the immeasurable beauty of these tropical gems. Pure white sand, clear warm waters, and fish-tail palms trees that sway in the breeze. There are few things on earth quite as spectacular as Thailand’s island life.
- World-class cuisine: Any foodie worth their salt will agree that Thai cuisine is among the finest in the world. In fact, it is very difficult to beat in terms of variety. You could try a new dish every day in Thailand and you’d be going for months!
- Warm hospitality: Thailand isn’t called “The Land of Smiles” for nothing. Thai people are among some of the friendliest and hospitable people you will ever meet and they love welcoming people to their country. Many people who visit the country fall in love with the lifestyle and peaceful Buddhist mentality and never want to leave.
- Colourful nightlife: Thailand is renowned for having a colourful nightlife and it attracts people from all over the world each year. Whether you are a bachelor looking for companionship, or a couple of friends looking to experience some of the finest nightclubs in the world, Thailand will deliver.
- Beautiful culture: Thailand has a rich, cultural tapestry that spans millennia. From grand, gilded temples to wonderful and vibrant festivals, there’s never a dull moment in this truly magnificent nation.
- Booming economy: In big cities like Bangkok, Thailand’s booming economy is evident. There are so many thriving businesses and the recent growth of the self-storage industry in Thailand stands testament to the growing personal wealth as well. Take Keep It Self Storage in Bangkok as an example, a popular Japanese chain that expanding throughout SEA.
Is Thailand expensive now?
Another common question that people ask: “is Thailand expensive now?” The short answer is no, although that question largely depends on what you deem as being expensive. Certainly, if the last time you visited Thailand was 20-years ago then yes, Thailand is expensive. However, in comparison to Western countries like the U.S and UK, Thailand is exceptionally cheap.
Thailand is a developing nation and its economy is growing, so the cost of living is bound to rise alongside those changes. In any case, no, Thailand is not expensive. In fact, it remains one of the cheapest tourist destinations in the world.
Is it safe to travel to Thailand?
Many people worry if Thailand is safe to travel to and rightly so. It’s not uncommon that you hear horror stories about someone going missing or getting into trouble when travelling in South-East Asia. Then again, Thailand is no less safe than most other countries in the world, so long as you use a degree of common sense.
The fact is, Thailand has a very different culture from what Westerners are typically used to. If you are the type of person to be rude and boisterous or disrespectful of other cultures, you may end up saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. However, if on the other hand you are kind, courteous, and use your common sense, you should not run into any issues whatsoever.
Thailand has been rated the safest country in South-East Asia for visitors. Just keep your wits about you.
Is Thailand a 3rd world country?
And finally, is Thailand a 3rd world country? No! In fact, Thailand is fast developing into a wealthy nation indeed. Technically speaking, Thailand is considered to be a 2nd world country, however, it is rather dated terminology. Instead, one should refer to Thailand as a developing nation. This is because they have a great deal of wealth and their economy is going from strength to strength.
Yes, there is much poverty and inequality in Thailand, which can be seen from the corrugated roof communities next door to towering luxury condo complexes in Bangkok.
- Thailand is a popular destination because the weather is great, the food is amazing, and they have paradisiacal tropical islands, a warm hospital, a colourful nightlife, and a truly wonderful culture (to name a few).
- Thailand is certainly more expensive than it used to be many years ago, however, it remains one of the cheapest tourist destinations in the world (and the experience is worth every penny).
- It is very safe to visit Thailand, provided you are respectful and keep your wits about yourself.
- Thailand is a developing country with plenty of wealth and beauty.